Oven Baked Prawn and Chorizo Paella
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
2 tablespoons boiling water
2 tablespoons olive oil
220g chorizo sausage, sliced
300g chicken thighs, cut into 2.5cm cubes
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
2 brown onions, chopped
1 red capsicum, sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
2 cups Arborio rice, rinsed
4 cups salt reduced chicken stock
1 cup white wine
2 teaspoons oil, extra
16 king prawn cutlets, approx 350g, deveined
1 cup peas (frozen)
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
2 lemons, cut into wedges
Preheat oven on Circotherm at 160°C.
- Place saffron threads into a small bowl, add the water and stir, allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan over a med-high heat/setting 8 and cook the chorizo for 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the pan, drain on paper towel. Toss the chicken in half the smoked paprika, add the remaining oil to the pan then fry the chicken pieces for 3-4 minutes to lightly brown the chicken. Remove and place into 32cm x 28cm deep baking dish with the chorizo.
- Add the onion, garlic, capsicum and chilli flakes to the pan and sauté for 2-3 minutes then stir through the saffron, remaining paprika and the rice. Toss over the heat for another minute then add to the baking dish. Pour over the stock and wine and mix well.
- Bake using Circotherm with a high level of added steam for 35 minutes, stirring twice during the cooking.
- Meanwhile heat the extra oil in the same frypan and cook the prawns quickly over a med- high heat /setting 8 until just cooked. Cool.
- Add the prawns and peas to the Paella and bake a further 10 minutes. Toss through the tomatoes and parsley leaves then spoon into serving bowls, garnish with lemon. Serve immediately
Recipe & Photos by NEFF Australia
If you would like to learn how to use the Neff Appliances book your seat for our next Cooking Demonstration