Christmas Fruit Mince Trifle with Gingerbread Stars
Prep time: 1 hour
Chilling time: 5 hours
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 125g butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon Gewurzhaus Gingerbread Spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- ½ cup water
- 300mls cream
Fruit Mince Cream
- 500g cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup castor sugar
- 400mls cream, extra
- 1 cup prepared fruit mince
- 900g tub double thick vanilla custard
Preheat your oven on CircoTherm® at 160˚C.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until creamy. Add the egg yolk and golden syrup and beat until combined. Stir in the sifted dry ingredients and mix well. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Press dough into a disc, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Place the dough between 2 pieces of baking paper and roll out until 4mm thick. Use an 8cm star shaped cookie cutter to cut out approx 32 stars. Place onto greased baking trays, leaving room for spreading. Reroll any excess dough to make additional stars.
- Bake for 12 -15 minutes or until cooked. Allow to cool on the trays on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and stir over a medium heat/ setting 6 until sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and continue cooking, without stirring until golden. Remove from the heat then slowly and carefully pour in the cream and stir until smooth. Cool.
- Beat the cream cheese and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth then add the cream and beat again until thick. Fold through the fruit and chill.
- Reserve 4 or 5 gingerbread stars for decoration. Break the remaining stars into rough pieces and divide into 6.
- Layer one quantity of gingerbread into the base of a 3.5litre trifle bowl. Spread with one-third of the fruit mince cream. Top with another layer of gingerbread. Spoon over one-third of the thick custard then drizzle with caramel sauce. Repeat this process twice more to make 6 layers finishing with the caramel sauce. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight to allow the gingerbread to soften. Decorate with reserved gingerbread stars prior to serving.
Recipe & Photos by Neff Australia
Stay connected in Social Media: