Flourless Chocolate Easter Cakes
150g dark chocolate, chopped
100ml fresh orange juice (1 orange)
1 teaspoon finely grated zest of an orange
150g soft unsalted butter
250g caster sugar
60g ground almonds
50g coconut flour
3 teaspoons mixed spice
20g Valrhona cocoa powder
Equal quantities of egg whites and sugar. Lemon juice and lemon zest to taste.
- Pre-heat oven on Moisture Plus at 175°C.
- Melt the chocolate and butter separately on Induction setting 2-3.
- Beat the eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk until pale in colour and tripled in volume.
- Combine the orange juice, orange zest, chocolate, cocoa powder and butter.
- Add the coconut flour and fold into the mixture. Fold this mixture, along with the coconut four, into the eggs and sugar.
- Next add the ground almonds, mixed spice and sultanas into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into ½ cup silicon moulds.
- Select Moisture Plus at 175°C with an automatic burst of steam and follow the prompts on the control panel. Bake on shelf position 3 for approximately 15 minutes. The buns should be slightly undercooked in the centre.
- Remove from the oven and stand for 1 minute before draping a clean dry tea towel over the top to stop the buns forming a crust. Although a cracked and cratered surface is to be expected; this process avoids the buns becoming crunchy.
- To finish, place the mini buns on a baking paper lined tray in a round formation.
- Mix equal quantities of egg whites and sugar to create the icing. Add lemon juice and lemon zest to taste. Decorate the buns with the icing in a long sweeping motion to achieve the beloved ‘hot cross bun’ look we all know and love. Serve with butter if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Shannon Bennett & MIELE Australia